The E.A. Hours Fund was also created as a result of the new Service Improvement Fund language. The committee was able to establish a number of uses for these funds for the 2020-2021 school year:
- Provide every permanent Education Assistant with an additional four (4) hours of time that they can use in the following ways:
- Attend Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings, and if unable to do so take the time to review the meeting minutes and address any questions/concerns with the appropriate staff.
- Participate in Staff Safety Plan discussions for either the creation or revision of such plans, also time to review existing plans as needed.
- Attend site based Team meetings.
2. Support school food programs and/or after-school clubs:
- An additional thirty (30) minutes per day is available to members who are needed for a new program or to enhance an existing one.
3. Supporting students on school buses:
- If the need arises where a student requires additional E.A. support while being transported on either a morning and/or afternoon school bus, arrangement will be made with the appropriate district staff to accommodate the student for a set period of time.
4. Provide casual coverage for permanent members to attend various meetings.
- For those sites that have site based meetings during a members regular shift, arrangements can be made to have a casual replacement on site so that members are able to participate in these meetings.
This fund was NOT created to cover the costs of any training that is a requirement by the District:
- First Aid
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (a.k.a. C.P.I.)
- Cultural Sensitivity and Diversity
- Respect in the Workplace
- New Joint Committee Health & Safety
If members are being directed to use their four (4) hours of designated time for any District required training, or are being directed to use their time in such a way that does not align with the four (4) points above we ask that you please contact the Union office immediately so that we can resolve any confusion.