CUPE 411 members are the support of this school district. Our members are trained professionals, performing specific duties and protocols. Our work can not be done by “just anyone”.
Neither students, teachers, parents nor volunteers should ever be doing CUPE 411 work. When we know this is happening in our school district, it is important that your union be made aware so that your elected representatives can address this with the employer.
If you ever see students, teachers, parents or other volunteers doing work that part of CUPE 411 members’ duties and responsibilities, please let us know!
Examples of others doing CUPE 411 work include, but are not limited to:
- Calling home for absent or late students
- Answering SD #33 telephones or assisting the public in the site office
- Painting classrooms
- Installing shelving
- Driving SD #33 fleet
- Performing repairs or maintenance on school district vehicles or equipment
- Working one-on-one or in small groups with students, to reinforce classroom or teacher instruction
- Performing cleaning duties such as mopping, cleaning, vacuuming and sanitizing.
Sometimes it may seem there are grey areas between what is Teacher work and what is CUPE work. When in doubt, REPORT IT! Your elected union reps will be able to determine if CUPE 411 work has been done by a non-CUPE member.
It’s your union! Thank you!